View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #99
PGaither84
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

American football fits the American culture so well and that is why it is the most popular sport in the USA. Namely, commercial breaks. While none of us enjoy commercials [for the most part] the stop and start flow of American Football is what makes it unique. If you watcha soccer game you will notice very litle comemrcial breaks and you just sit there and watch the whole thing. I am seious here. In the Giants Dolphins game many English viewers were curious as to why the play started adn stoped all the time.

Baseball is a solid sport but it is the "great american passtime" becasue it takes so long to play [R.I.P G. Carlin] and Basketball is almost TOO up tempo, but is a very competative sport in popularity. Fottball has that right niche of intensity, tempo, drama, and the large team play on a grass field that can appeal to a mass audience.

Soccer is hard for americans to enjoy [much like hooky, or soccer on ice] because there is no real break in the acion and it is very hard to tell who is "winning" becasue there arn't really any real stats to track like YPC and completion % and ERA and FG shooting % and so forth. Americans fans are also driven by numbers and talking about who the "greatest" is. Honestly, I can't remember seing a "stat" for soccer other than goals. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

We love to debate Brady and manning and talk about Manning's number and Brady's composure adn how Brady did so well with Moss while Manning had Harrison his whole carrer untill now and on and on and on. A lot of my friens are Mexican and love soccer and football [Raiders fans] and even they tell me the way we enjoy both games is very different.

Thanks for reading.