View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #110
PGaither84
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I know you meant well with this post but I just wanted to say that I hate this generalization.

If you've ever been to a hockey city, you would know this isn't true at all. A majority of people who have actually sat down and gave hockey a legitimate shot love it.

If you don't enjoy it and your friends don't enjoy it, it doesn't mean American's don't enjoy it.

I don't know how we got to the point where many people claim AMERICANS don't like hockey or soccer but it isn't fair. There is a huge influx of Americans who have become soccer fans over recent years and if you have ever been to Pittsburgh or Detroit (to name a few) you would know it is unfair to say they don't like hockey.

Now, I realize neither sport is nearly as popular as the mainstream sports, but i think it is unfair to generalize American's as a group of people who don't enjoy soccer or hockey because there is a good majority that do.
Honestly, "all-ism" is bad anytime. In regards to the "majority" Hockey, to my understanding isn't even in the top 3 sports in America. I mean no disrespect. My understanding is that Football, basketball, baseball are the big 3 and that NASCAR is actually #4. I don't mean in any way to put down Hockey or Soccer, unlike other people, but I did want to talk about how you are far more likely to find an NFL fan than a NHL fan in any non pro-sport city.

Again, back to the point I was really tryignto make, was that American Football [Highschool, college and NFL] have a greater appeal to the American psychee than all of the other sports and that all of the "top 3" are also sports that are accessable to the average TV viewer. Soccer, like Hocky, in my opinion are much more enjoyable lIVE than they are on TV. The same is true for baseball and PLAYING golf. I really don't think that Soccer translates well to television, in my opinion, regardless of the rattings becasue, in my opinion, the rattings are drvin by the games MASS appeal to the world as a whole because of it's histopry as much as anything else.