View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 AM   #114
PGaither84
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
It could be that your limited understanding of the sport, devalues the complexity it truly has. There is more to it than angles, passing and shooting.
My friends who watch play and love soccer have yet been able to explain to me the draw or "stratagy" involved. I don't doubt it is there, but I admit I just don't "get it."

Down and distance, play actions, draws, screens, the differences between body types to play the different positions in football, all the little things that are aparent the first time you watch American football are part of what attract me to this game.

When I see soccer, for the most part you see similar guys running up and down the playign field with very little break in the action passing the ball over and over again for 90min. I HATE to be this general, but to a casual observer this is wha one ses. In American football I also understand it is confusing to people who don't know the game, but when you watch it there isa lot more variety going on. I find Soccer fans will ask what is going on FAR more often than I have had to ask the other way.

Again, my intent is not to bash Soccer. I play Fifa with one of my friends on his PS3. That doesn't change the fact that when I play, my primary goal is to pass the ball a lot and find an open shot and try to take away passing lanes on D. For the most part it looks liek real soccer and that is what also makes me less interested as a casual Madden Gammer is known for throwing every play and going for it on 4th and blitzing every time on d and then quitting becasue they can't win like that.

I actually borrowed his FIFA game for NGC a few years back and was able to play on [the Madden equivilent of All-Pro] and did fairly well, and continuedto be unimpressed with the sport. the annoucers alone kept me at least simi-interested whiel I played, but becasue my friends are Hispanic they watc the game on Telamundo or what ever and all when they score I hear possibly the most annoying in the world. "Goooool!" [but MUCH louder and MUCH longer] I have to admit that alone is a turn off.