View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
adembroski
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

Something that's kinda bugged me about Madden for a while now is the misuse of terms or the arbitrary renaming of things. I think the team would do well to make the adjustments now to the correct terminology.

Example number one is "Cap Penalty". I'm not entirely sure if the NFL actually uses the term "Cap Penalty" at all, but if they did, my guess is that it would refer to the loss of draft picks endured by teams that violate the salary cap. The appropriate term for the money being assessed the cap due to released players is "Dead Money". Or, at least, that's the most common phrase I've heard.

The other one is "Hot Route". Madden uses the term Hot Route to refer to at-the-line sight adjustments... basically 1-player audibles. A Hot Route to an NFL player is a route specifically designed as a blitz beater, and is already built into most plays, or is an automatic sight adjustment that is made on the fly without any extra input from the quarterback. Most often, it takes the form of an inside release from the TE that covers the vacated area on the side that the offensive is most vulnerable, or a swing type route from a back.

I'm sure LBzrule can elaborate on a lot more of these things. I'm willing to bet "Defensive Hot Route" isn't the correct term for individual defensive player adjustments either, but then, I don't know much about defensive terminology anymore.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove