View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Online Defiance Consequences - Your Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Far too often we look for a fun gaming experience online facing a random opponent that turns sour, particularly through quitting. Gameplay styles can be debated until our faces are blue, but quitting early on a consistent basis isn't acceptable. Of course life gets in the way at times, but that isn't the case 99% of the time someone quits in Madden.

I personally think the best approach is to block the quitting player from playing another online game a period of time, such as 15 minutes. Most often these quitters just play out the first couple of series and if things don't go their way they quit and start another game immediately.

Banning people outright may be a bit harsh.

I'm also against the feature that forces people to finish games against the CPU to get complete credit. That is a waste of the winner's time. They aren't the problem here.

Just showing the DNF % has it's stigma in lobbies, but still isn't a heavy enough incentive in my opinion to have people stick out games they are losing in.

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this. There was a solid article posted a couple of weeks ago here at OS talking about online cheating and quitting. The possibility of being banned on servers was discussed much like Valve's Counterstrike servers.

DNF % = Did not finish percentage

Edit: The third option is regarding the QUITTER not being able to play another game for a set period of time. I said user and that isn't precise enough. I mean't the user who quit. Apologies.
Hogwash!!! My DNF is at 39% , 22.7 % disconnects from glitchers that have been losing and freeze the game up, 15.3 % from me quitting. My Record is 57 - 93. Most of my losses are from me getting the disconnect glitch or me quitting.

Why do I quit? Simple, I refuse to waste 40+ minutes of my gaming time playing some cheeser / glitcher that abuses the game. Once my opponent does one cheese move or glitch, I'm gone. Even if I'm in the lead I still leave the game. I always send my opponent a voice message and explain that I do not want to waste my time with that type of player and congratulate them on a free win.

To restirct me for quitting a game against a cheeser/ glitcher would be totaly wrong. The system is fine the way it is now. The only thing I would suggest is putting a feedback system in place like that other game has. Then we could get more info on what type of player a person is.