View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #104
TheWatcher
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
They can easily do the PS2 system.

1. Franchise is off-line
2. You spawn a file off-line
3. You share the file with your opponent off-line
4. You launch your game from the file and so does he on-line
5. You play the game on-line
6. You save a "results" file to your HD
7. You go back to your off-line franchise nad import the results file.

That is a very basic vanilla implementation, and you can't honestly tell me with a straight face that the above proposal would take a lot of work to accomplish.
Aside from the unpredictability/reliability/stability factors of running this over a server connecting to thousands of machines, feeding information back and forth... there is also the issue of having to write this program probably from scratch or something close to it to run comparable to the PS2 version.

The other thing is (and I'm guilty of not keeping this in mind myself) as generations pass, demands of development increase as technology becomes more complex. Not saying it was easy for those working the PS2 game to make it happen because they certainly had to have a lot of challenges, but it certainly will be harder now to pull off the same type of task. If you have multiple cycles to work it, it's not as big of a deal because you can chop away at it slowly. Even so, it's still going to be tougher.

Quote:
What is Franchise Live Opponent ... are you referring to the ability to do an on-line franchise on the PS2 from that was introduced in Madden 06? If so, that feature never disappeared, and the way it was implemented would also make it impossible for EA to track... but maybe you are referring to something else?
Aha! This was exactly my point. I would've thought that anybody today clamoring for online franchise would've been all over a feature like Franchise Live Opponent. In Madden 07 for 360 (and probably PS3 but I don't know about all that version offered) You could take your franchise, connect online, and then bring in a live opponent to play you in your franchise. It also allowed you to use custom rosters, so this could be considered a sort of bare skeleton/test pilot of online franchise. Madden 07 sold about 2 Million copies on 360, and yet to be honest I've never actually seen much discussion about this feature outside of some passing mentions here and there.

Quote:
And what is a "hard core" madden player now vs a "casual" madden player? When I think hard core... I think of tourneys and people that practice 5 days a week for the madden challenge or money games. It doesn't get any more hard core then that.
When I think hardcore, I think of people like the OS crowd who come here to discuss and dissect every minute detail of the game. These people play the game looking for deep value in modes, functions and options, and authenticity of experience that stacks up to its real world counterpart. This group is small compared to the casual.

When I think casual, I think of people who don't come to places like these to discuss Madden. They don't care about the minute details of the game, nor do they care to discuss them. They aren't looking for deep value as much as they're looking for quick gratification, and finding the newest wrinkle (glitch) to beat their buddies, and by association to that, aren't concerned with authenticity of experience.

Now to me, the tourney guys (and this is probably not entirely fair, but Madden Nation just ruined it for me) are just hardcore cheesers, lol. They carry all the attributes of the casual, except the play the game a lot more.

Quote:
Calling me "hard core" because I enjoy on-line madden franchise is a bit of a stretch.
I think you fall into the hardcore group because that's the type of player who would be most interested in this. A franchise going online and hammering it out with multiple people over a concrete 17+ week schedule just doesn't fit the mindset and behaviors of a casual player. There is too much obligation there for a casual to stay connected with this. Making trades, doing drafts, signing free agents, keeping a full season schedule and sticking to it... these aren't casual behaviors.

Remember Capn, the first step is admitting you're hardcore