View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #402
FenwayMac
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
So far so good with me and the patch. Finally started the Franchise after waiting it out. Beckett went 8 innings against the Rays, 103 pitches, and struck out 10. Wow, is the pitching a LOT different post-patch. I have the sliders set at 100% as far as Gesture, Release, etc... and I will tell you, you swallow hard when you make that 3-1 pitch now. I LOVE the fact that you can dial back the meter a bit to try and gain more control, but you really have to be careful with the release, and there is no more dotting the corners with every pitch in your arsenal. Also, the pitches themselves have been tweaked, and you might head out to the practice mound before your game, and test out how the new movement affects the pitches. Beckett's Two-Seamer used to tail back almost a foot from the aiming point, making hitting the corner pretty easy.. not anymore. The pitches all react differently, and you really need to get a handle on what does what now. I hit three Rays with Beckett, so before game 2 of the season, Dice-K is going to hit the practice field for some bullpen work before I start throwing balls all over the place. Even on a 4 seamer, you had batter be close to the perfect gesture and release, and even then, it doesn't always go exactly where you aim it.... hmm... *insert flashing lights and siren here*.. about time...!!

I won the game in the 11th inning on a sac fly by JD Drew, who scored Papi from third, but I am still fumble-fingered when it comes to the baserunning when the S hits the fan, and I am trying to do 5 things at once. It is hard to tell if the batter has tagged up all the way to the bag when the ball is in the air, and even though they supposedly fixed the "jog home" problem, Papi had to run over the catcher even after the throw from medium depth right was cut off... Papi knocked the ball out for the game-winning run and mayhem ensued with everyone surrounding him and congratulating him for the walk off Opening Day victory!!! Oh wait, no they didn't. Drew walked all the way across the diamond back towards the dugout with nary a teammate even walking near him after he drove in the winning run. They also ignored Papi who steamrolled the catcher for the win... Must be the rookie hazing thing where your teammates ignore you for winning the game. I mean, I am gald they fixed what they did, but golly, could a guy get a little celebration for a thrilling extra inning win? weak.

So, the Sox are 1-0 in this short season, and Dice-K head to the bump for game 2 on the season.

Love the patch, and honestly, I love it just for the pitching tweak itself. The other stuff was never really an issue with me, so Becks striking out 10 on opening day with the control a lot tougher now, I am thrilled with that performance. No HR's for either team, and the game ended 2-1. Lowell and Youk both went 3-4, Lowrie doubled, and Papi went 2-4 with a couple singles...

More to come.

syf
Hi, curious as to whether you are using custom settings or just going with default? I would like to earn cards for my efforts, so can I choose a default setting and tweak it? I think all the slider set loaders finally said "F it" and gave up! I tried a set this morning and love the pitching (7 K's with Beckett), but hitting was horribly bad. Even solid contact only made it to mid outfield. Original question...which difficulty are you using?

Thanks