View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
TombSong
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Adaptive AI - Play Based vs Route Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeacard
i can only control one player on defense, so when someone is using a play that can exploit multiple players in the defense the adaptive a.i. is needed for the human. for example using a fast qb like mcnabb and rolling him out with a receiver running an 8 yard crossing route across the field. right now i have a choice i can either control a player and have him cover the scramble of the qb or cover the crossing route by the wr. whatever i do the person im playing against can exploit the a.i. of the cpu for the other matchup.

so lets say i decide im gonna cover mcnabb with a linebacker while he rolls out, and ill keep my db in man coverage on the crossing route. the other player will see that i am covering the roll out so he will make the quick throw to a the wr for a decent gain each time, because my db will never "learn" that the crossing route is coming. this means he will never jump the route no matter how many times it is run. so i get tired of getting beat by the pass so i tell the backer to spy the qb and manually cover the wr. now the player sees that the scramble will be available because the a.i. is too dumb to cover the scramble by its self. the backer may get into position but nobody else on the defense will realize that a scramble is coming no matter how many times it happens in a row, leaving the player to make one person miss in order to get a decent gain while im covering the crossing route manually.

correct play call is only half the battle. it is still neccesary for a humans a.i. teamates to "learn" and cover things that the human player is not able to cover.

If the defensive plays stop what they are designed to stop(within reason of the player talent on the team) and the offense is not given the ability to exploit the defense in a cheating way, there is no need for adaptive ai on the human team.

If someone is constantly throwing a 5yd out you will either call a zone defense that puts players in that area of the field or call man and put your best cover man on that WR.

If the defender is not noted for playing zones well and keeps allowing a WR to beat him. You gotta make a adjustment in personel or play calling. The player should not be made to do what he normally cannot.

You say if he recognises that play let him be able to jump it. OK now the O has to know this too, so now they call a in instead of a out. Shouldnt the Db still get burned because now he is overplaying for the out ? If I called a play expecting him to cover inside and he plays outside based on a tendeny tracked by the cpu, and the offense goes inside, I am gonna be pissed.

They need to make sure the players and the plays do what they are suppose to do. You the coach have to call your plays based on tendency and the ability of your defense.

If I have slow CB's I cant expect to play man against a team with fast Wrs without deep help, OR getting some kind of consistent pass pressure. I also cant expect the game to cheat up my defense to do what they are not able to do in real life.

Not saying you, but some people think there are defenses that stop everything and there are not. If someone is good enough to make reads and exploit what you are doing to them they should be able to without worrying about the cpu cheating the defense up to play how they really should not.

We have not had a Madden game that did not give one side of the ball some type of advantage that could be stopped by sound play calling. We have always had to find a way to game the game and exploit the exploit.