View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #54
steebu
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
and, of course, there's no reason to put anyone decent at the FB/B-Back spot anyway, because they don't run a veer path and will never have an alley to run through, because the EMOL is almost always base blocked (sometimes my PS Tackle ignores the DE if he's facing a wide 7 tech, but it seems to be random).
I don't think I've ever seen a 4 (or 4i, or 5) tech ever NOT get base blocked in this game when running the option, unless the PST got blown up.

Quote:
Because you seem to have a good idea of what's going on in the football AND video game side of things, let me ask you, steebu

do you think midline would be harder (or just less likely) to program than veer? It'd probably be harder for the casual player to master, IMO, because it's pretty much only useful against a 3tech DT and the read is so quick, but is there any reason we could expect veer implemented and NOT midline? It's a staple play, used so much more often than something like "WB Lead" or whatever

oh, and that's why I said "freeze play"
I personally don't think EA will improve anything because the blocking in general is just screwed up. Unless they completely fix base blocking to begin with, how are they going to backside scoop block and cut block correctly?

Because of the problems with blocking to begin with, I think it'd be next to impossible to implement the midline correctly. I mean, it's such a super-fast read to begin with! The player, in a split second, and from a far-away-behind-the-QB camera angle, has to read the shoulders of the 3 tech. Does anyone honestly believe that's possible? Does anyone honestly believe the subtleties of defending the option, say, with a mesh charge by a 4 tech, is implementable by EA?

But that aside, I've played NCAA 07 that I picked up used for $5 for a bit now the last few days and I'm going crazy with the blocking on these plays. I've seen linemen supposed to base block the guy in front of them (a OG on a 2 and the OT on a 4 tech) and instead they rotate in place and pick up someone else. I even saw one where the center blocked a 0 and both guards rotated towards each other, then ran towards each other behind the center! The RG ended up blocking the DT on the left side and the LG ended up running in place behind the C! And the blocking scheme was "FIRE OUT STRAIGHT AHEAD". Until garbage like this gets fixed there's no hope for any sophisticated blocking schemes in the option to work properly. And don't give me this, "Well, maybe your OL had a low Run Block or Awareness rating" crap.

Please. Even if you're the dumbest OL in the world, if you're told to base block the guy in front of you, are you gonna rotate on your off foot, run behind the center, and block the DT on the opposite side?

I believe the "changes to the flexbone" that they're touting will be incomplete. Yeah, they'll leave the 4 tech unblocked now for you to read but there will be no midline and no improvements to the actual playbook (but plenty of weird plays that no team runs). I'm hopeful, though, because at least they've recognized the problem. Now whether my original post brought that about is something else entirely, but maybe all the attention this is getting will lead to some much improved gameplay on the option side. Maybe we can just insult and taunt them into fixing it? :-)