View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
nrt25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: What Happened to PC Sports Gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
It is a couple of things that happened in the past 5 years or so that caused the decline of PC sports game.

1. 360 and PS3 - These 2 consoles are as powerful as any PC was 4 years ago.

2. Pricing - A gaming computer cost well over a $1,000. And I'm not just talking about the graphics card. The CPU itself have to be powerful nowadays. I was at Walmart yesterday browisng the PC gaming section. All the modern games, Godfather 2, Wheelman, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Civilization 4, etc all require a minium CPU of 2.8GHZ.

PC gaming is expensive and every 2 years it requires a faster CPU to run. Then with graphic cards, good lord you have to get a new one damn near every year. And then you have to have at least 3GB or more RAM.

That right there is why PC sports games fell to the way side. You can buy a 360 for $300 or PS3 for $400 and it will last you a good 7 or 8 years.

You buy a $1,500 PC and it will last a year before you have to upgrade the graphics card or buy more RAM for it. Now granted the communities OVERALL for PC games is vastly superior then consoles, but that price difference will always make PC games sales decline.

If you custom build a gaming PC and you put 1500 into the PC (WAY more money then you need to build a decent PC) then I can guarantee you it will last longer then year before you "need" to upgrade it. That said PC gaming is still more expensive then the consoles and its very intimidating for someone who doesn't know much about PC hardware.

Factor in that low install base with the fact that PC gamers would be much less likely to buy he same PC sports franchise every year because of the great user created mods that often appear for sports games to upgrade and update them. It then becomes pretty easy to see why companies would be reluctant to put out new sports games on the platform.