View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
NoSubs
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Get rid of the "Overall" rating.

I don't see how getting rid of the overall rating is beneficial.

Sure it is good to look at players ratings in each category and see his style of play, I agree that you may start a player with a lower OVR because of some key attributes, maybe one player fits your system better than another despite a lower OVR, but why get rid of the OVR? Why does the OVR inhibit your ability to do that?

Plus the OVR is extremely useful for saving time with trades, contracts, FA's, etc. Imagine the free agent list if you could not sort by OVR. If you are looking for a guard and you see:
Player A 80RBK 82RBF 84RBS 79PBK 81PBF 83PBS
Player B 78RBK 80RBF 81RBS 83PBK 84PBF 82PBS
Player C 80RBK 83RBF 80RBS 81PBK 82PBF 80PBS
...etc. down the list.

Who do you sign? How can you tell if the player is better than what you have? Are you going to sit there with a calculator and average those ratings and try and see who who has the highest combination? If so you are just replicating the OVR. Imagine trying to sign a HB, there are so many ratings that go into it, are you going to sit there for hours infront of the FA list trying to see who is best? Even if you are going to do that, why does the OVR offend you so much that you want it removed? Just don't pay much attention to it.

The OVR is a heuristic, it will help you come to a faster decision, it might not always result in an optimal solution, but nothing is preventing you from doing further analysis. Getting rid of the OVR would be terrible. If it was an option I would be surprised at anyone wanting to use it.