View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Get rid of the "Overall" rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubs
The OVR is a heuristic, it will help you come to a faster decision, it might not always result in an optimal solution, but nothing is preventing you from doing further analysis. Getting rid of the OVR would be terrible. If it was an option I would be surprised at anyone wanting to use it.
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I agree. What does the OVR allow you to see or learn about a player? That he is "better" by one, two, five points? Again, how the OVR is calculated and how ratings are weighted in that calculation are significant factors in determining just what that number "tells" you.

IMO, football is about on-field skills and how they fit schemes. Good players are those who have the skills that fit the schemes their teams run. I think the gist of the OP's post is that there might be a better way to represent that real-world fact in Madden than overall ratings numbers. It sounds sensible to me, and it seems like a good idea, too, to ask just what that OVR really signifies if we're all so attached to it.