View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
sooners52794
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Get rid of the "Overall" rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I think I get what you're saying. So here's how it would break down for a guy like Adrian Peterson:

Madden's system
OVR: 98
SPD: 96
BRKT: 92
BCV: 88
AWR: 83
ACC: 99
ELU: 90
TRUCK: 91
PWR: 91
CAR: 72
CAT: 77
AGL: 88
DUR: 80

Rocky's System
Elite Level RB
AWR: ****
SPD: *****
AGL: ****
PWR: ****
ELU: ****
BRKT: *****
CON: *****
CAT: ***
PSPR: **
DUR: ***
LDR: ****
CLT: ***
ACC: *****

The idea floated in this thread.
Elite Level RB
World Class Speed at RB
Excellent elusivenss
Spectacular burst (acceleration)
Very good quickness
Solid Power
Above Average at breaking tackles
Finishes runs very well
Average durability; will get hurt
Weak in pass protection
Not a threat to catch the ball out the backfield
Puts the ball on the ground too often

I like this very much, i was thinking of a letter grade system like in the show on the back of the player cards, but this works well also. the stars would be whats shown, and the notes would be on a hypothetical player card, just like in the show. In the show, you could have player a be rated 94 ovr (the bars just stand for numbers, 1-100) and player b be rated 92 ovr. player a has f in contact, but a in power and mixed a's and b's in other things like speed and fielding attributes. player b on the oher hand, would have b contact and b power, and c in fielding and speed. to anyone who's played the show, player a is gonna bat around .220- .250 and have around 30 hr's because of his bad contact skills, while player b would be much more productive batting anywhere from .280 to .320 (depending on if hes hot), and could concievable hit 30-35 homeruns. think of all the difference it makes having grades instead of numbers, because it is more sim to think of a player as "a" for excellent and "c" for average, than 94 and 77 respectively. having things like that really do make people think about other ratings, which could or could not have letters.

I know for a fact college hoops 2k8 had an option to turn letters for grades on or off, and the grades were for all stats and relative to positions, like 77 3 pt rating for a center would be an "a+", while for a sg it would just be a c for average. i thought this was so sick for a game that had more bell curved type ratings like the new madden will. and for the argument about little kids being more arcade, if they have to choose between two players based on overall alone and nothing else, dont you think they might just use something else to decide if they are so narrow minded? like whos name sounds cooler, who has a better number, huh? i know i have when it comes down between two very similar players lol.