View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Phobia
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: History of our Players (videos) - (APF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Atta boy Phobia! This thread ROCKS! Wait until it's complete... everyone is going to have an itch to try out all those legends again I did some video searching on my own and it really gets you excited to use the guys. I've watched the Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, and Jack Lambert videos REPEATEDLY because they just get you hyped to use the guys.

IN APF Lambert > Butkus :-P
Thanks CK, I agree that was the whole reason behind the thread. I go and search for videos of players and it makes me want to try them in the game. Figure I can't be the only one so the result was a easy to find thread just for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Great videos. Man, did I ever love the Cowboys & 49ers rivalry of the early 90's; those games were downright nasty with each team building during the Drafts & FA'cy just to top each other (those 2 teams accounted for 4 straight SB Championships in the early 90's).

Aikman vs Young
Emmitt vs Ricky
Moose vs Rathman
Irvin vs Rice
Novacek vs Brent Jones

The things I loved about those games was just the hatred and animosity towards one another. 49ers & Cowboys would purposefully sign players from each other to continue to out-pace the other. Deion played in SF for one SB season, then the Cowboys lured him away. Norton Jr. made his name in Dallas then got signed by SF to help them win a SB. Charles Haley worked his way out of SF to join the Cowboys.

The best matchups, IMO, was Aikman vs Young. Both players exemplified what an NFL QB should be but both had drastically different styles. Aikman was the classic pocket passer & field general who took some big shots in the pocket, but he led his team, kept all the big names in check & winged it all over the field. Young was the scrambling, big play athlete who made things happen all over the field, and he made his players better. You knew coming into these games that these two guys were prepared to to the fullest with their gameplan and they would leave it all out on the field. The closest QB rivalry I've seen since then is Brady vs Payton.

Great Emmitt video!!!! Nobody gives the man the credit or respect he deserves, but the man was easily the most well-balanced RB to ever play. He had finesse, power, hands, toughness & was a great blocker. You could leave him in on 1st & 10, 3rd & short, goaline or 3rd & long and he was always a contributor in some way during all those plays.
Yea Greazy Young vs Aikman was a classic duel. I am a Emmitt fan as well. He was just one of the most well round backs. But I think what made him great was just year in and year out you know he would show up and put up numbers. He is not like some of the good backs now adays where they are on one year then fall off the charts the next (aka Steven Jackson).