OVR: 34
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
*sigh*
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
The solution here is not to make the offense weaker, it is to make the defense stronger. The risk in pulling up and throwing instantly is not that you will be innacurate, it's that the defender is in zone and will jump the route and snatch the ball before the receiver can get there.
You're saying pretty much what I thought you were saying. You want to be able to pull out of your dropback and pass with no consequence. If the defense doesn't pick it off or swat it, it's a completed pass right? At what point does this become an exploit? I don't play online, but I can foresee the outcry of people not sticking to their dropbacks and letting off accurate passes all over the place (with no regard for passing off their backfoot).

CapnKill--I just checked the dropbacks in the Madden 09 demo and they do vary by play. I agree it's kind of hard to identify with the skiddish fast play of 09, but varying dropbacks are there. I popped in 2K5 where of course they emphasize the dropback and there were specific plays designed with no dropback (as you probably are well aware).

I think the benefits of a forced dropback far outweigh the benefits of not having one. If the only potential flaw in the system is that you can't pass out of your drop back willy nilly, I'll take that in exchange for more realism out of the QB position as a whole.

I guess we fundamentally see things different which is perfectly fine . Like me for example, I subscribe to the theory that receivers should not be reacting to passes thrown before they get into their route. If I'm sending the receiver on a post route and I cut off my drop-back and pass early, the ball should be well on its way before the receiver even expects it. The receiver should not be able to drop on a dime and make the play; they should expect for the ball to still be in my hands early into their route and almost always fail to make the play. Allowing the QB to break off the drop-back combined with the receivers making the goes against this theory IMO.