View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #146
Sven Draconian
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
I'm just gonna play devil's advocate here. I actually come from a similar school of thought as you, but just wanted to put the other perspective out there.

Not all plays are designed with timing involved, and a whole system involves basically NO assigned patterns. Of course, I'm talking about the run and shoot, which Jim Schwartz has said the Lions will use this season, which of course hasn't gone unnoticed by NFL coaches.

The run and shoot is predicated upon receivers adjusting their routes on the fly, reacting to the different types of coverage/leverage a defense can employ. Of course, there are rules involved in each play which determines which routes each receiver can run, so its not just a free for all, but my point is that will not see a traditional 5 quick step drop thrown to a 12 yard speed out in this offense.

How should the run and shoot be incorporated into Madden, and remember that almost all madden players will have no real understanding of how the concepts work.
The Run N Shoot is a special case obviously, and really can't be modeled in a video game (atleast yet). With that said, it's still conceptually passing.

That is, each receiver is going to have an rough assignment.
Z.....T.G.C.G.T.....R...Y..X

In a "flood" concept, X is going to have a vertical, Y is going to have intermediate, R is going to have short. Now, X has the freedo to run the post/skinny/go/deep out based on alignments but his route is still based on the QB drop.

Y can run a Dig/Out/Curl, but it's based on coverage.

R has a hitch, bubble, out ect.. but i's based on the coverage and the drop.

Often, Floood is a roll concept so the QB has a lot of time to adjust. Also, the Run-N-Shoot runs a lot of 7 steps drops (which are all but extinct now).

Another concept would be a something along the lines of this:

R runs vertical (Post/Streak/Comeback based on coverage), Y runs vertical (Post/Streak/Flat/Comeback) and X runs a Dig/Comeback or possibly a post...agains all based on coverage.

X is still the primary receiver, the drop (5 step most likely for this concept...possibly 7) is tied to X. The play is designed to beat a Cover 2/4 defense for a gain of 12-20 yards. The QB is throwing off the alley defender's drop, and that is X's adjustment (Drop deep it's a curl, drop wide its the dig). If the Defense goes to Cover 3 at the snap it's 3 post patterns and the QB reads the playside saftey.

It's a sight adjusted route, but it is still tied to a drop and fits within a concept. They aren't adjusting from the dig or cul into a 2 yard hitch.