View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #163
Guillotine 1
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I don't really see a problem with forcing drop-backs, to a point. There are very few instances where a QB knows exactly who he's throwing to before the snap...that's what makes dropbacks key...they go through progressions, see what the defense is giving them, and then they throw. Letting you out of a dropback so you can run around in the pocket for the sake of running around is not realistic football....

With that said, there are plays where shorter drops are required (ie Delhomme throwing a WR screen to Smith when a CB is playing off), and a previous poster's idea of having designated drops for those types of plays seems like a good idea to me. It addresses the problem most of you have (ie jump balls in the endzone) with a forced dropback. Ian already said you can throw in the face of pressure, but with an accuracy penalty...this is realistic as many times QBs throw it away when facing a blitz that isn't picked up.

As for nano-blitzes, the blocking seems to be drastically improved this year, so hopefully that doesn't make it into the game.

The part I put in bold is incorrect. I can tell you exactly who will be open based on what I see pre-snap, this is why EA needs to made it easier to hide what coverage a defense is in.

...I know a lot based on pre-snap looks, and I can still pick you apart after the snap based on what your LBrs and safties do during my drop back...

Look, let me make this clear...

It is vital, absolutely vital to the integrity of this game to not force QB drops. It will lead to a defensive advantage. If a guy is running wide open half way into his route (in between the zones), and I can't throw him the ball because I stuck in some friggin forced drop...I'm gonna get highly ****ing pissed ok?