View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #236
shttymcgee
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Why are you talking about throwing mechanics? We were only talking about the drop steps. Having a long stride during the drop back has a bad impact on the drop. I'm not talking about the throw (Although, I agree if the feet are too far apart the ball will sail high, and lose velocity).

Your really confusing me with your comment about the upper body having more to do with the difference between good drops and bad ones. This is completely opposite of everything I've have ever heard.

Everything starts with the base, if you have a good base (particularly footwork, balance, and weight transfer) your most of the way home if you can be consistant...but I don't want to argue with you about Quarterbacking 101. Its more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm sure you have plenty of good reasons for saying what you said.
I know that I'm off the original topic, but I would like to keep talking about pass drops. I honestly can't think of any situation in which a quarterback steps too deep in his drop, ever. Every step should be as deep as possible except for the gather step (the last one before the plant) and of course the plant too.

As for the importance of the upper body; I'm talking about quiet arms, the placement of the ball, the direction of the front shoulder, and maybe the most overlooked, the level of the shoulders from front to back. Allowing the front shoulder to dip on the plant leads to it being thrown skyward on the hitch (if there is one) and that leads to high throws.

These are just the common faults that I've experienced and I've always been concerned with getting as much depth away from the center as possible.

Mainly I just wanted to clear up the term long-stepper. I guess it doesn't really matter what you call it, but I've only heard it and used it in describing the stride when actually throwing the ball.

I do think that we agree on the fact drops should occur the way they do in real football, whether it be 1 step, 3 step, 5 step, 7 step, half rolls, sprintouts, playactions, boots, nakeds flea-flickers or whatever.