View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
BuzzKardzrool
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

OVR: 7
Retirement/Regression Overhaul

I am happy to hear of all of the 'minor' improvements in franchise mode which will hopefully make the mode once again playable after 3 years of no improvements and steps backwards.

I hope the new regression system doesn't hold back any punches. I'd first like to point out that I am getting all of my references from Madden 06 on the PS2, but I've heard that the current-gen Maddens are the same in this aspect. Currently, players decrease at an extremely slow pace starting in their early 30's and retire near the top of their game at age 36. Except for a very few QB's and some RB's that retire abruptly (Robert Smith, Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber), this almost never happens in the NFL. 99% of the players in the NFL retire due to the inability to make a roster. Even greats like Jerry Rice and Brett Favre hang around until they're no longer of real use in the NFL. Lower caliber players usually try out for teams every year in training camp before getting cut only to try again next year. The bottom line is most players play until there is no longer a demand for them.

Also I hope the regression system takes into account injuries and wear and tear. Many players careers are plagued from nagging injuries while others have more serious injuries which immediately change their attributes forever (Pennington). Wear and tear also should be taken into account. Most RB's are can't play at a high level in their early 30's or even late 20's. There can also be cases where injuries prolong a career. Look at Correll Buckhalter, he's 30 years old and still has barely lost a step after 3 serious knee injuries. This is likely to the fact that he didn't have to deal with the wear and tear of 3 seasons. This also happens with people like Ricky Williams who would probably retired for lack of ability if he hadn't spent a few years away from football. Look at Kevin Faulk, he's still a relevant player because he was never a full-time starter.

I'm happy with what I've heard so far about regression but hope these factors are implemented. They really aren't that complicated. I think one of the reasons they were easy with regression in the past is to keep casual players happy and not have them get burned when they sign a 31 year old free agent only to be a bust. Or maybe they were just lazy.
Advertisements - Register to remove