View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #83
Ballinology
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Jags new uniforms in 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
Well, we obviously weren't a good team last year, that's why we "earned" the #8 pick, lol. So there's no disputing that. I wouldn't call us mediocre though as this past season is really the first time we've been uncompetitive in about 5-6 years and, imo, it's a bit too soon to write us off as teams do have occasional down years every now and then. We had some bad luck when we really had quality teams by always being a little worse than the Colts.

Now I will say that the future doesn't bode well for us and I think we're caught between rebuilding and being competitive. If you look at the Jaguars 1st round picks for the last 6 drafts, then you'll see why our competitiveness dropped off. Derrick Harvey, Reggie Nelson, Marcedes Lewis, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Byron Leftwich. 3 of those guys aren't even on the team anymore and the other 3 haven't exactly been impressive. Lewis needs a breakout year in 09 for me to not label him a bust, Nelson had a good rookie season but stepped back last year, and Harvey came into camp so late that I'm not even sure what to think of him yet.

So, this was bound to happen sooner or later and this draft will be key to how we perform this year. If Sanchez falls to us at 8 and we take him(not that I'm opposed to that), then you can pretty much mark it down that the Jags won't make the playoffs in 09. If we actually take a position of need like B.J. Raji(and Jags staff loves to preach BAP so we'll see what happens with that) and they continue that trend throughout the draft, then I think you'll see us possibly make a run this year because we still have enough quality parts if some players develop(like the 3 mentioned above) and everyone stays healthy. Either way, this draft is especially important to us...moreso than other drafts.
I agree. The thing about last year was there was several problems on the defense. Reggie Nelson was a stud his rookie year and declined his 2nd year. Why? Because the man Drayton Florence was suppose to be covering blew past him ALL YEAR and Nelson had to cover both guys. Also the missed tackles didn't help. Our secondary was getting tourched by average to below average QBs all year long. Garrard didn't even get 3 seconds into the play before he was laying on his back.

With Greg Jones, Mojo, Holt and possibly a future playmaker WR, and a healthy Offensive line, we can be back in contention in the South.