View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
tennesseetitans
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Whats the difference between all of the different physics engines?

I don't think it's a matter of whether modern consoles can handle Euphoria in a football game. The multicore processors have hardly been tapped. GTA IV implemented it rather well for all of its movements, within a dynamic, extensive 3D world (not quite the same as Madden, but I'll get there later).

That said, I think it's a more a matter of how much time and effort a developer is willing to put towards its implementation, and whether the effort will reap substantial immediate results. This is not a put down towards the Madden team. I think they are certainly making their extremely limited development cycle worthwhile. And as far as function, I've already said that Madden can and is essentially imitating Euphoria's functions (just with less physical fidelity). If Backbreaker proves revolutionary, I certainly don't think Madden will be at all obsolete.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Backbreaker has been in development for 2-3 years. It is obvious this technology cannot be implemented overnight, and it remains to be seen how well the initial version will work. However, I don't think they'll be giving up much as far as graphically, since its engine can render higher graphical fidelity (not the same as how good it will look or art direction). Where it may be lacking, is depth, realism, and overall football A.I.

Last edited by tennesseetitans; 04-22-2009 at 09:00 PM.