View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
da ThRONe
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the sprint button is needed. I don't really want the entire range of speed to be controlled by left stick. That's fine to handle the speed between when your trailing a blocker and when your accelerating through a hole but there is another gear that almost all skill players have beyond that. The flat out sprint. As a young athlete(football, basketball, soccer) I could run at maybe 90% or even 95% and still have balance, control, and the ability cut quickly but I also had another gear where I was just flat out picking em up and putting em down in a straight line and if I had tried to cut sharply without a slight decrease in speed then I was likely to lose that balance and control.

This is an important factor, imo, in utilizing the speed of a skill player. Adrian Peterson is an easy example of this. I watched him play live several times(I live in Norman, OK) and the speed with which he turned a corner on a sweep in traffic was fast--really fast. But then you'd see one where he turned that corner and there was nothing but green ahead of him and he could just shock you with a gear that you didn't see every play. The man eliminates angles in the open field.

I think this type of speed should be where the sprint button comes in. Maybe it results in a loss of lateral movement when held down, maybe it accelerates fatigue, i don't know--but it needs to be in the game.

Also, football, imo, is unique in it's need for varying speeds. Hockey players virtually never stop, but RBs often stop on a dime and change direction. Because of the very nature of handling a soccer ball those guys rarely have the chance to wide open sprint and almost never while in possession of the ball. Baseball--eh, doesn't even fit in a conversation about running. Basketball is very stop and start but the length of the court prevents sprints that cover anything more than very short distances. Football requires the entire range and the knowledge of when to use which. I think all of the varying degrees of speed need to be in the game.
The point is if you run in a straight line long enough(based of the ratings) you will get to top speed!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.