View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #52
MelMan1486
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: If ratings really mean something this year, than EA should....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron8
Yes I have ran track and played organized football as well.

In fact, during those years in track, my friend was the starting RB for the football team and I was always talking trash on him saying how I was faster and that we should race.

When we ran on the track, I won. But he later challenged me to a race in pads, and he won that pretty convincingly because he runs differently in pads than without.

Obviously, i'm not saying pads and equipment don't slow reggie (or any player) down less than anyone else. That would be stupid.

My point is that reggie, during his 15+ years or whatever playing football in pads, has developed a feel for running in pads. IT'S DIFFERENT. Just like throwing, catching or kicking a football is a little different with pads on.

Do you remember the first time you stepped out of a locker room in full gear? It feels alien, and it takes time to get used to the little differences (like your head bounching because of the added weight). During your time running in pads, you develop and strengthen different muscles than if you trained without them.

No doubt that usain bolt is INSANELY fast, but the claim that he can throw on some pads one day and beat maybe the NFL's fastest player on the field is a stretch. I wonder if bolt himself would even be willing to make that claim.

There's a reason most people (quality scouts) don't put a ton of stock in 40 yard dash times because they understand the difference between track speed and football speed.

Jerry Rice was rumored to be clocked at a 4.7 forty but defenders who faced him claim he was the fastest guy on the field.

Yea I remember that "alien" feeling putting the pads on but I think the only alien feeling for Bolt would be the helmet. In highschool it felt alien but when I went to college and ran I trained sprinting with weight vests and leg weights on. And seeing as how Bolts a world class sprinter I'm pretty sure he's done the same. And yes there are some who are just naturally faster on the football field (like Jerry Rice). But lets be honest here... when comparing who can run faster between Bush and Johnson Johnson might run faster than bush on the field and Bush might run faster than Johnson on the track, but thats because they're around the same type of speed. Bolt is ON A WHOLE different level than those guys in terms of speed, that's why he's the fastest man in THE WORLD. Yes if you took a guy who ran around a 10.5 100m dash and put him in pads he probably will get beat by some of the fast guys who have played football for years, but a guy that runs under a 9.8... no way would some pads slow him down that much for someone like bush to beat him in the 100 yard dash. Now if you were talking about a 3 cone drill Bush (hell even some OL) would probably beat Bolt.