View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #69
UnderRatedCoast
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: I think it's time to eliminate RT/LT, RG/LG, LOLB/ROLB, LE/RE

Finally got reading this thread after a while, and it seems like most people have generally the correct gripe. However, position changes come BEFORE cut players, so the LOLB/ROLB gripe is a non-issue for anyone who isn't mentally challenged. The gripe that needs to be made is switching an OLB to MLB, WR/RB to DB, OL to DL and vice versa, WR to TE, etc. Many people have made the most excellent point that no physical hits should take place moving from position to position. You don't just randomly get slower, weaker, or less agile just because your position changes, although you may not know how to play the new position. In '09 I recruited a 6'4" 240 lb WR with 94 speed and 89 ACC, but only 73 AGI. He was strong and a good blocker, so I moved him to tight end. Suddenly he drops to 30 strength and can't block for schidt. So what I had was a really fast TE who warmed the bench for 4 years, whereas I should have had one of the best receiving tight ends in the country. And I think this is the kind of thing that they have fixed for '10. The bigger fix that I would like to see, however, is the freshman position change. You can't really change from running back to DB after playing for 4 years as a RB and expect to have a guy who performs well on the field. But coming out of high school you often have players recruited as DBs or RBs who are changed to another position their first season, and since they aren't good enough to start already, don't take a giant AWR hit since they have played multiple positions in high school anyway, and don't even know their position in college yet either.