View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #350
SA1NT401
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: The MLB 2K9 Developers Are Listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
Can't believe overlooked this thread. I have been waiting to get my thoughts in.

Well, where should we start...?

Presentation: I really liked the TV style presentation that you guys put into the game this year. The fade-outs between innings, the different camera angles, and the views during breaks in the game were outstanding and true to life. Next year I want you all to build on that. Let's make it even better. On foul balls from both the pitcher and batter interface, don't have the camera follow the ball to the backstop or wherever it is going as in real life. Only follow the ball with the camera if it is a deep foul ball down the line. Now this will lessen the number of times we will see the fans catch the ball, but I believe this will enhance the TV presentation style immensely. I cannot stress enough how many "small" things can be added to improve the presentation next year. Chants, mascots etc.

For the most part I like the franchise menus. I hope to see minor leagues being followed next year when (Hopefully) they will be playable again as in 2K8.

Overall you all did a nice job on presentation this year.

Graphics: Graphics were a pretty weak point in this years game. Let's face it, player faces were terrible and so was the lighting along with a lot of other things. I don't know about player models, but I think you all could spend a little bit of time sharpening the player faces.

I would also like to see improvements on lighting. While there are some shadows on the field and the players faces I really think you all need to take another step into this. Progressive lighting needs to be fine tuned, and I would like to see night games look a little bit better. However, I day games do look fantastic, so keep up the good work on that.

I would also like to see better field textures. The lip of the grass on the dirt looks terrible, and the dust that flies up as the players are simply jogging down the line needs to be removed. If a little dust flares up on a huge slide to the plate, than that's fine, but this was way overdone this year.

Again, I think you are pretty close to good in the graphics department, but you all just need to fine tune some things.

Gameplay: I could go on forever about this. While I am seeing plenty of realistic games with some slider tuning, I want to see this be better. Motion capture, motion capture, motion capture. WE NEED MORE ANIMATIONS. We need players brace themselves as they run into walls, we need more swinging animations along with check swings, and half swings. We need more diving animations and more error animations. And most of all, we need more running animations! I'm tired of seeing players jogging all in that same half-run/half-jog animation, and you all know what I'm talking about. Let's make it smoother; a lot smoother. Make pitchers naturally walk with their head down to the dugout as they wipe the sweat of their head or adjust their cap. I'd also like to see celebration animations. I know it's hard to make the whole team celebrate a walk-off win, but do the best you can.

And last but not least involving gameplay for me is: LET THE GAME PLAY A REALISTIC GAME OF BASEBALL. This has made me mad for the past 4 years with you all. There is always something wrong with the AI that keeps from realistic stats. If you are going to call this a baseball simulation, then let it play a realistic game of baseball. This year it was lack of foul balls and AI agression. 2K7 the user hit too many home runs. Test it, test it, and test it again. Don't do anything stupid like trying to speed up the game and making the AI swing a lot and lessening the amount of foul balls. If the player complains that the game is too long they have hurry-up baseball and in-game saves. If that's not enough then they are not a true sim gamer.

Make the batter-pitcher interface a little more meaningful. I like what you've done with zone hitting this year, but make it better. Two strike counts deserve more foul balls. I want half swings fouling it off backwards. I want hitters swinging early on change-ups to pull balls, and I want them swinging late to push them off foul. I want fielding tuned so there are no more unrealistic blunders, and I would also like to see an automatic or assisted fielding feature.

I also want some features brought back from previous years. Minor Leagues, take-out slides, etc.

Wrap-up: I'm not going to come here like some of the other people on this forum and set unrealistic expectations for you all next year, however I am a consumer and expect to have a good baseball game next year. I'm not asking for much. I know it's been rough for you all for the past few years. Brinkman came and left you, and this year you started from scratch. As bad as people said this year's game was I honestly thought it was pretty playable. You've left us with the idea that the game was "so close to being good this year that it will excel next year" for the last 4 years. I want it good next year, 2K no excuses. I'm not asking for a new breakthrough career mode, or some fancy owner mode. I'm just asking for some of the aspects of this game to be tuned for next year. I know some of the things I asked for may be very hard to do, but I also do know that you can do them. Your motivation needs to be there. You can make a good game next year, it's just a matter of having your priorities straight. If you fine tune everything but can't fit in spring training or the 40-man roster than so be it. What's the point of playing a few extra spring training games in the season when the gameplay still fails?

You all have to get your priorities straight next year. That is the key to your success; I know it. (Having some developer create an account here on OS to talk to us about what we would like to see next year couldn't hurt either ) Let's get it right next year.
Well said and i agree