Old 06-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #68
Flawless
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

Live Battlefield 1943 interview Live Q&A

Quote:
rashes asks: How is the hosting handled? One of the biggest problems with Call of Duty: World at War is the host quitting early and the game finishing prematurely. Are there dedicated servers?

Gordon Van ****: We have dedicated servers that will be located around the world. No host issues in BF1943 baby!!!!

Patrick Liu: Yes, we have dedicated servers, and it's in the tradition of Battlefield games to do that. One of the reasons is that there's a massive amount of traffic, and most normal users don't have that kind of connection. So we have 24 soldiers [12 versus 12, maths fans - Ed], and probably the same amount of vehicles and destruction to boot!
Quote:
Sycopat asks: What are the most ludicrous and exciting stunts we'll be pulling in game? Can I walk on the wings of planes? Can I jump off a plane and kife someone in the back? Can I camouflage myself as a tropical deer and sneak up on someone? Can I hide in the water and pounce at will?

Gordon Van ****: LOL! I don't think I can properly answer after the mental image of what a tropical deer would look like!

Super Moderating Hero: Like a colourful zebra, probably.

Patrick Liu: Stunts and crazy stuff is definitely something we encourage! we have the classic suicide jeep armed with explosives, you can try to drop bombs on enemy planes mid air, parachute down and snipe people from the air and THEN knife someone else in the back.

Gordon Van ****: But yes, we're focused on Battlefield moments like that and making so many things possible I couldn't guess what our amazing players will come up with [they're not amazing yet! - Ed]. Every BF game released, the Dev's are amazed by the creativity out there.
Quote:
Peetry asks: What are you doing to prevent spawn camping and cheaters? I don't like tents, I despise cheats and I detest being shot in the head when waking.

Patrick Liu: If you know the general direction of a sniper you can always carpet bomb that area with a bomb raid, for example. We've also added something called "non griefing areas" in the home bases, so if you try to base-rape/grief in your base you won't get any points for it. You can still do it, but it will be literally pointless.

Super Moderating Hero: Base-rape! What a phrase.

Patrick Liu: That's what they call it.

Gordon Van ****: BF gamer jargon, we are devs in the know!
Quote:
galerian86 asks: How will the squad system work in this game? Will there be a single commander over-seeing the battlefield and ordering supply drops and air strikes like previous BF games?

Patrick Liu: Actually, BF1942 had nothing of that, it was really down to basics. There were no squads, no commander, nothing. But we have added squads which is the core of team play. You can either form your squad before you join any server and make sure you play together. Or you can form ad hoc squads while you're playing as usual. There are also simple squad commands, so you can point at a flag to tell your squad to defend/attack it, depending on the flag. And of course there's VOIP between squad members.
Quote:
Hunam asks: Will players be able to set up clans and custom servers on the console versions? Can you tell us a bit about the clan options on offer?

Patrick Liu: we have something called "private match". you can invite your friends to it, and they can invite their friends in their turn and so on. you can make up the teams as you wish and choose map, and then you go and play on a server all on your own!

Super Moderating Hero: What about the clan options, if there are any? And will there be rankings and what not?

Gordon Van ****: There are no specific Clan features and we will have ranks and in-game awards to work towards.

Patrick Liu: And there will be extensive stats on the website to track.