View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
SoxFan01605
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Review

Is there a noticeable difference between the PS3 and 360 version? I rented this on the PS3 and was disappointed. The gameplay is what I expected (mixed bag, IMO) from a TW game, but the presentation seemed wonky.

They seemed to have gone for a more "broadcast" view of your ball flight where you can't see where the ball is relative to the course. It's a minor issue, I suppose, but add in the fact that there's a noticeable delay in the switch between views and it kills the immersion.

The announcing is okay-better than previous versions, I suppose.

I honestly don't get the big deal about the putting. It feels like the same exact mechanic...just condensed to a specific meter view. The only improvement to me would be the fact that there seems to be more emphasis on being smooth with your R Stick motion, but other than that it just seems like the same mechanic in a different wrapping.

Also, I'm disappointed that the gameface feature has seemed to dumb down since 07. Photo gameface is nice, but the options surrounding the golfer seem more generic. Also, the fluctuating course count is getting old. Just keep ADDING courses. On top of that, there should be no circumstance where it's acceptable to charge for courses that were EVEr in any version of the game.

I never played against AI opponents, so I have no clue of any improvement there, but the 2P game didn't feel like enough. I just feel as though the only important change made in awhile (IMO) was fixing that goofy leaderboard mess from 06-07 (maybe 08 too) where the AI would scale to your play (meaning an opening round 60 meant the whole field would shoot thereabouts the rest of the tourney).

I'm in no way trying to be down on this game (I know it's been nearly all negative...lol). I actually don't hate TW (I still own and play 07, despite it's flaws). I just feel that it's indicative of a common problem with many current sports titles. WAY too much simplifying and give and take. Keep adding. Keep innovating.

I waqnt to feel enticed to buy a new TW game, and it's not happening. If the 360 version is smoother than the PS3, I'll give that a rental too and give it a go. Sorry if this post ended up as a rant...lol...not my intention.