View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
DolfanDave
Rookie

OVR: 10
Houston, we have a problem

In the ring FN4 is the best boxing simulation I have ever played period, but the legacy mode needs to seriously be fixed. There are some major problems that I will list below that’s a HUGE legacy killers.

Let me start by explaining what I did. I was in my legacy with my heavyweight and clawed and fought the big boys(Ali, Tyson,Chambers etc) to win and defend as the undisputed heavyweight champion and had some epic battles. After going 51-1(wanted to finish as the GOAT first lol) I noticed a terrible trend so I copied my legacy to my memory card and started my experiment and that’s when it was apparent that “Houston, we have a problem”.

The first problem is the ranking system is severely flawed. It really doesn’t hit you hard until you become champion because the logic is really the same throughout the legacy. When you become champ you basically will be fighting the top 5 guys 99% of the time. The other 1% is when someone challenges you which are usually someone rank between 6-9. Now you might be saying that’s fine since that’s usually happens in real life but the problem is you will basically be fighting the same 5 people over and over and over until they retire for the most part.

When you defend your title against the top 5. One of two things will happen. Either there ranking will remain the same or raise. Yes, if you beat someone they don’t go down in the ranking and sometimes goes up lol. On some occasion they might drop and swap places with another boxer but it is still the same 5 guys or the 5th guy might get bump out also but this is rare.

For the heck of it I fought the same guy 3 times in a row that was ranked number 1 and guess what his ranking was after losing by KO in the first round all 3 times. Yep, still number 1. So after fighting the same people for a few years some guys finally retires and I think “Yes, finally some fresh meat” but this brings me to my second problem.

The generated boxers ratings do not progress correctly. My overall rating was about 79 when I won the title and about 84 when I was defending the title. My boxer right/left power, stamina , chin, heart was in the 90s and head/body toughness was in the upper80. I knew I would need a high rating in those to contend with the licensed boxers and to top it off all this was accumulated using auto train .

I said all that to ask why in the world are the generated boxers on average have an overall rating about 75 and they are ranked in the top 5. So on average my major ratings(power,stamina etc) are 20% higher than my challenger. Now, don’t get me wrong you can lose against guys with a lesser rating but let’s be honest if you play fundamentally sound boxing it just not going to happen at least it didn’t for me.

So after having banged with the licensed fighters averaging an overall 95 for the most part. They retire and now I go from fighting pros to joes basically who can’t take my power, don’t have the stamina and don’t have the toughness because they are under developed. So of course I am now wishing Tyson, Ali and the rest didn’t retire after all because now my matches aren’t going longer than 3 rounds and it is like fighting someone off the street. I even remember a few guys that had an overall rating in the freaking 60s.

And to make matters worse as you get older your skill doesn’t deteriorate as they should. I just stopped playing at age 38 because I didn’t see any declines on my ratings what so ever. As a matter of fact at around 35 years old I started boxing every month and was able to easily defend the title with no ramifications. Finished 72-1 on this ‘test’ legacy and that’s just because I was bored to death beating tomato cans.

Now, having said all that these are problem that can be fixed so I hope EA is still hanging around and can tweak the data so

1) Generated boxers ratings are in line with your boxer
2) The ranking system doesn’t reward losing
3)As you get older you start on a sharp decline in ratings plus if you fight to often as an older guy you will also take a big hit in the ratings.

Later

Last edited by DolfanDave; 06-30-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Advertisements - Register to remove