View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #51
doom41
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
And I continue to argue that their education isn't paid for but rather earned. Just liked you earned money to pay for your education, they are just doing it a different way then what you did.

Their education is not free, it is not paid for like giving candy to a kid.

They work to get that thing and keep it just like the average joe working at the grocery store or you.

And he did not pursue a lawsuit during his career if I read that right. He did so afterwards.

Why be thankful for the opportunity for the scholarship? You worked to get it and EARN it.
I agree with you 100% that a scholarship is earned, but why be thankfull for the scholarship? How about because their are hundreds if not thousands of people who also worked their tails off in High school who didn't get that scholarship. Go ask any walkon on any team in the county if he would be thankful for a scholarship, and if he thinks that all the guys on that have scholarships work that much harder than him.
Scholarships are definately earned, but not just because you work harder than everyone else.
I will say that I side with those who say that college athletes do not deserve any more compensation than the education (notice I'm not calling it a free education, it is compensation for the service they provide the university as an athlete) , books, housing, and food that are all part of the scholarship they recieve. Yes they work hard, but they get all those things, that the rest of us have to pay for. I worked 40+ hrs a week and took a full course load for four straight years (even in the summers) Don't tell me you or any other student athlete worked harder than I did, and I won't tell you that I work harder than you. The fact of the matter is that we both worked hard so that we could stay in school, the only difference is that when we were done with school I had tons of loans to repay, and those athletes were either making millions in the pros or at the very least had no debt related to their time in college.
Advertisements - Register to remove