View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
DerkontheOS
MVP

OVR: 38
Re: Strengths and weaknesses of 3-4 schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchris
You make a good point. One of the things I have done in the past is move DT's to the DE position because like you said the DE's in a 3-4 scheme are really DT's.

Now I just started my Air Force dynasty last night and they play with a 3-4 defense so I have not had a chance to really delve into the recruiting yet but I know this has been an issue in the past.

One thing to note is a team like Air Force plays the 3-4 for different reasons then some other teams. The Academy knows they are not going to have any really big guys to play those three d-line positions because of the height/weight limitation. However, they are sure of one thing they will have year in and year out some tough, strong, hard-nosed guys they can fill into those spots. Of course, this is hard to replicate in the game but when looking for d-lineman at Air Force I generally look for strength as my number one factor over size, speed or anything else. The 3-4 also allows them to get their more athletic guys on the field, which they have more of because of the height/weight limitations at the Academy.
So true...I am a big fan of the 3-4 defense, cause of the Packers are changing too it and I saw its effectiveness in New England, and I was thinking about switching too it soon. The only problem I have is the Defensive Ends. What kind of ratings drop are you seeing from switching Defensive Tackles to Defensive Ends.