View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #105
StormJH1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Fair. But I think we're really pushing up against the ceiling of how much more you can improve these games from a graphical standpoint, and the types of innovations that were needed to make a game "realistic" in the mid-90's made up a much larger laundry list than the things we complain about now. And given the cost of everything, I think this was the direction we were heading anyway.

Let's not forget that if not for Grand Theft Auto IV, 2k Games may very well have been BOUGHT by Electronic Arts, and this whole 2k vs. Madden debate would've become moot anyway. With the exception of SCEA's excellent baseball game (The Show), 2k is the only company even bothering to try and make games that compete with EA, and they're losing money on all of them.

Everything is bigger now. It's analagous to the movie industry--something like Star Wars could never happen now, becuase people would never tolerate an action film on a bare bones budget. Throw in a copy of some of these 1990's football games you're talking about, and you'll realize just how bad they are. So, it's tough to look back on those "glory days" and pretend like it's realistic for 2-5 different game developers to split up all their sales making NFL football games--it just can't happen anymore.

As long as we see improvements in Madden like we saw this year (FINALLY), I'm fine with EA having the only game in town, so long as they continue to improve their product and hire the creative minds that would've gone to make rival games at 2k and the like.
Advertisements - Register to remove