Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #214
red butler
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
Simulation? I thought Madden was a GAME?

Im looking at the box right now, there is no mention of a simulation..... as far as I am aware, it is a game - a SIMULATION would not have human input as far as 'playing games'... simulation's are run via a database program, using the relevant statistics to produce an outcome.... now as far as I am aware, I can control what happens on the field (to an extent) whilst playing my Madden GAME, me playing automatically overrides whatever a simulation can produce as the computer cannot factor in my input.... so we are back to talking about a game.

So lets go back to the question you are avoiding.... as a computer game, the progression of players should be based on a risk/reward factor which is generated in game, NOT because a developer has said 'Player A is rated at A potential and this is how he will turn out, no. matter, what.'
You're using a very narrow definition of the word simulation. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the word "simulation" has been around far longer than databases have even existed. I simulate things all the time that don't even involve a computer. So, just because I have input into the game does not mean that I don't want it to be realistic. I don't want to be able to throw slant passes all day using Rex Grossman to make him more accurate... so that he can later throw deep outs perfectly. I don't want to be able to run Peyton Hillis behind a great offensive line... so that he becomes Barry Sanders. Lastly, a lot of players won't live up to their full potential, so they are not going to be how you put it "'Player A is rated at A potential and this is how he will turn out, no. matter, what".