Madden Head
Rookie

Madden Head's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr

[You said some good stuff here]
I was using the example with Steve and others to show why production based progeression doesn't work alone. I want to promote the return of the "playing time" stat. Holding for a FG doesn't count as playing time. Playing time should only count "starts" and not "games played." With "my system" of progression, only 1/4 of it comes from production and if you have no playing time or very little playing time that 1/4 of your overal grade of production should go against you. So, for example, the system should look like this:

NOTE: Pulling ranodm guess numbers, so just go with me here.

Steve Young 70 OVR A potential

Potential: A: improves
Production: Games played/stats per game: little to no games. No penalty
Training: Hard Worker: Improves
Coaching: 49ers coaching staff in the 80's/90's = great: Improves

Steve Young Improves.

- Note, Work ethic should be a rating IMO that is the check for "training." Maybe use a more politcally correct term for Work ethic so that low rated players don't get mad at EA calling them lazy or somethng.-

Ryan Leaf
Potential: High: Improves
Production: Lots of games, poor results: regress/doesn't improve
Training: average: no improvement
Coaching: they had 1st pick so they can't be good: no improvement

Result No improvement. After a few years of this and/or the game checking and resulting in regress, he lowers. Leaf is a bust.

Peyton Manning
Potential: High: Improves
Production: Solid Rookie year and after that multiple 4,000+ yard seasons: Improve
Training : one of the hardest workers in the League: Improve
Coachign Staff: Prior to Tony Dungee, not so good: Regress/no improvement

Result: Manning Improves.

You may see that if Ryan Leaf worked harder to be NFL ready and he made smart in-game choices his stats wouldn't be as bad, and he would have improved over time as a palyer and in Madden this way.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that stats drive how good you are but how good you are drives your stats. this is the reason why your stats only play a role in checking if you should progress. After all, in my opinion, no matter how hard you work and how good your coaching staff is, come Sunday, if you can't handel the pressure and make mistakes and play poorly, you really aren't very good after all, are you?