View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Cusefan
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Mankind...more to be proud of, or ashamed of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I think you're being too harsh saying that it's trivial to think about after all philosophers and such have talked and written about these things and I don't think they're trivial minded folks.

I do agree that it's not something to lose sleep over but this isn't a black/white issue. I'll cop out and say that Mankind has achieved a lot but in the long view of the Earth's age and how long humanity has been around we're just babies. Unfortunately like babies we tend to grasp towards things that can cause us harm. We're at the cusp from being a Type 0 civilization to a Type 1 Civilization. It's this jump that's the hardest and many theoreticians believe that's why we haven't seen so many alien civilizations out there because most civilizations fail in this important transition.

So in the end we've achieved a lot but we have more probability to cause our own downfall.
Humanity as a whole is Inherently bad, and will in all likelihood be its own downfall. Take away civilization and pit 2 people against each other for a chicken drumstick, someone who has no qualms about killing and someone who would think twice about it, evil wins.

That being said, why be ashamed of it? Sure we all say that murder is bad, rape is bad, genocide is bad, but when it happens to someone we dont know we dont care enough to do anything about it. We can discuss something depressing like this till we are blue in the face but in the end it changes nothing. People are still gonna kill, rape, and slaughter other elasticities, but life as a whole will go on. And when that giant nuke or asteroid destroys earth, the only thing that will be remembered is our cruelty to each other.