View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #261
Glorious Arc
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
What about if we had potential, but it was hidden (as I believe it's been in the past). That way not everyone gets to be Adrian Peterson, but at the same time, you're not the omniscient GM, who knows exactly who's a superstar and who's a bust.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that GM's by and large know where players ceilings are. They don't get it right all the time, but maybe certain players could display "F" potential when they're really "A" potential, or something like that.

But I wouldn't necessarily say that D's and F's aren't total failures. Sure, long term a 78 OVR with A potential is better off than an 81 with F potential, but if you're looking for a short term, stop-gap player for a year or two, you might be better off with the F potential. Plus an 80 OVR with F potential should be easier to sign than an 80 OVR with A potential, especially to a long term deal (if cash is tight). It's another layer of strategy that way.
If you have F potential you are overall 1-59 lol. But I understand the concept of your argument.

So going back to HC 09(seriously why didnt they import at least a quarter of that game to franchise is beyond me) they had the ability to hire HCs, OC, DC, positional coaches, GMs, and trainers. The GMs skill not only helped with scouting good talent but also with figuring out how good your team really is.

A player's overall and potential ratings were almost always in a state of flux. With a poor GM you could have an amazing player whos overall/potential rated by the GM is in the 70s when that same player with a great GM would be rated in the 80+. The Real attributes of a player(awareness throw power ect ect) were static(unless they were increasing). Therefore, if you were not lazy you could become the GM and judge what player is going to become great or not but if you had a good GM he could speed things up. Also, each and every single player rating had a potential that it could specifically reach.

Example would be a DE who has a overall potential of a 90. His stats at max would be 68 power move, 98 finesse move, 74 block shed, 78 tackle, 94 awareness. You could draft another DE whos overall potential is 90 but his max stats could be 98 power move, 52 finesse move, 88 block shed, 84 tackle, and 78 awareness. You could draft another DE whos overall potential is 90 and his stats are 90 power move, 90 finesse move, 80 block shed, 65 tackle, and 60 awareness.

Players are 10 times more diverse because each one is unique in the fact that they all max out at different levels on different skills.
Advertisements - Register to remove