View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #71
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
The best thing is that I have NFL 2k5 with updated rosters, APF2k8, and Madden 10. I have three football games that I can totate. My favorite is APF2k8 because I am a scheme guy. I use to love reading Autumn post regarding personel. I think APF2k8 just fit a certain type of gamer. It is almost like the game was made for me.

One thing I want people to notice when we talk about 2k8 we usually talk about x's and o's when I go on the Madden board you rarely ever hear about x's and o'x.
I'm pretty well over APF, and I think generally we need to be more patient with learning what's in Madden and what it can do since we spent 2 years learning what APF could do, but you have a good point in your kind words about my long-winded posts.

A great feature of APF was the mystery surrounding the players. You had to play lots of games with those guys to figure out what they could and couldn't do, and that was really immersive and authentic. It was a blast to try different guys in different schemes.

I do think that Madden has provided some clear player differentiation but much of it is discernible through numerical ratings. I'm not a big fan of that, but it's not going away. I definitely miss learning that Cromwell was a great run support guy, good in zone, had marginal hands, and was slower than Marion, who was better in man and had even worse hands while being a decent tackler.
Advertisements - Register to remove