View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #271
MrNFL_FanIQ
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDunc
Going out on a limb here but what about this...

Just get rid of the overall rating. Hear me out...

Who cares what the overall is anyway? You run your franchise with a certain system. At least I do anyway. If i want a speed back then i look at speed, acc, agility, whatever. If i want a power back then i look at trucking, strength, etc. Same for a WR or whatever position i'm looking to fill. The overall helps as a quick sort but it doesnt necessarily mean anything to me.

I like the potential idea but it should be hidden. I dont want to know. IRL do i know 100% somebody is going to turn into a HOF player? no. Nor do i know 100% he will be crap.

For progression there should be hidden characteristic categories that affect skill ratings. Learning should be set to affect how much AWR increases. A work ethic category should be set to affect how much certain skill categories increase. i.e. catching for a WR, or pass/run blocking footwork for OL, etc. All of these would increase with experience but for the "A" potential players you see it increase faster. "F" potentials hardly at all.

Then your players who perform well, will still perform well because they fit in your "system". But there could be a player who would perform better in a shorter amount of time due to his potential being greater.

Just my thoughts...
This is one thing I really liked about Head Coach, the overall rating for a player was based on what your philosophies were. For example, if you ran a 3-4 defense, you would set the philosophy to favor a good 3-4 DE, which would make power/size much more valuable than speed/finesse.

On the current system, it's all the same. Robert Mathis and Ty Warren would both get high 80's ratings at defensive end. But in a 3-4, Mathis would be a terrible DE because of his speed and lack of size. Meanwhile, Warren would suffer a bit as a 4-3 because he's a big powerful end, who would be more suited as a DT in that scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove