View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
lordbah
Rookie

OVR: 1
Lost newbie trying to get started

I'm just getting started with Madden 09 (a year behind, so sue me) and am very confused.

It starts with the test. When there's a symbol over the player's head, that's pretty trivial to understand, but "R"? In other games that means right joystick, but that doesn't seem to do anything in this game. I thought it might mean "run to his right", but it never says "L", so I doubt it. In spite of not understanding this, it tests me out as "All-Pro" at run offense and pass offense. Very doubtful. Whatever.

On defense I'm hopeless. Why can't I look at the screen from my own point of view instead of the offense's? I get that I'm the player circled. Why am I never as fast as the ball carrier? And again with the "R", what does it mean? Pass defense ... I stopped 1 pass, all the other plays I couldn't seem to get my player to go where he needed to be.

In spite of all this I decided to try a practice session. Thought maybe it would be instructive. It shows me a play but doesn't tell me which player I will be or what I am expected to do. It never offered any suggestions about how to do anything.

To sum it up I am pretty lost as to how to get started.

(If I do wind up playing this a fair amount I expect my left thumb will be killing me as it seems to always be in use moving a player. Sound right?)
Advertisements - Register to remove