Old 09-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
Murkurial
Rookie

Murkurial's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 10 vs. FIFA 10 Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomymac23
I think whats missing in this back and forth is quite simple. FIFA seems to do a better job of expressing futbol than Madden does at expressing American Football. Period. Thats the main reason a lot of guys on this site play the games. They want them to play as real as possible and while passes in FIFA can be assisted it also can be manual. Shots take practice and skills. Plain and simple FIFA is a more complete game of futbol than Madden is at Football. Its their flagship sports title and bests seller why would it not be...

TMAC
If the majority of guys on the site play FIFA, and most of them aren't entirely familiar with the sport, then it makes sense that FIFA would be their game of choice. Online and off, hardly anyone plays on manual and the passing isn't even the only thing that makes the game feel unrealistic so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with that statement. In fact, guys that are actually passionate about soccer don't play on manual because it can be too hard sometimes.

The game doesn't encourage using your midfield, slowing the game down, or building from the back. It encourages find Torres/Messi/Ronaldo/Ibrahimovic/Henry and try to run past the defense.

I think sometimes people get too caught up in the licenses and animations. I think if they made a few changes, namely the speed (which is still too fast), the endless pressure and aggresion, the ease with which someone sitting with 10 men behind the ball can get out on the counter, and the way that, with assisted passing, a guy could literally roll the ball right by your defenders foot and he won't attempt to steal it, the game would be significantly more sim. Problem is, people would stop playing it if they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomymac23
Just so I'm hearing correctly. You are defending Madden's Sim in comparison to Fifa Sim correct. To me its as simple as watching a soccer match on TV and watching similar things happen on the pitch. Come on there is no real arguement here. 1. Step up the skill level place it on manual game play, then talk to me about sim. You wont like Fifa very much I'm sure.
What frustrating to me is that people chime in on whats Sim and whats not sim and to me. 2. Messi is great but there are other great players that are just as fast and can control the ball just as well. So they look and play similar not the same. That's Madden football as well or any sport for that matter. I dont think Richard Jefferson is as good as Kobe yet on NBA 2K he sure does move like him. You know why because they are basketball moves. Like Messi has counterparts they display soccer moves on the pitch. All I'm saying is that the fifa demo is getting more interest from me than is Madden. 3. Reason being is this; It expresses soccer better than Madden expresses football plain and simple. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though for sure... So to each his own. Fifa is the BEST Sim coming out of "EASports at this time" IMHO. Who cares about PES, I didn't see that in the title. LOL
I'll just respond point by point:

1. That still doesn't explain why you think the game is more sim. Or how it's a realistic representation of soccer. The CPU is known to cheat on World Class or Legendary just as it does in Madden on All-Madden. You pass the ball, the CPU runs you down immediately and you're forced to ping-pong the ball around the field. Not sim. This is assuming you actually watch soccer as you claim to.

2. No, actually there isn't anyone else on the planet right now that can control the ball as well as Messi can at speed and under pressure. Ronaldo's my favorite player and I won't even say that he's as good a dribbler as Messi. I would say it's debatable but due to Messi's quickness and low center of gravity it's incredibly difficult to take the ball off of him and honestly I kind of feel like they may be close to getting this specific aspect right in FIFA 10. Close, but not there yet.

The guy that mentioned everyone playing the same wasn't a reference to the players though. It's the teams. Turn up your pressure and aggression and hold down the A and B buttons and you'll find that with any team you can more dictate the flow of the game entirely. Unless...you opponent turns on the assisted passing and just ping-pongs the ball around. In FIFA 10 they've deliberately slowed down the strikers relative to the defenders so that you have to pass to the midfielders more. Unfortunately those midfielders still get barged off the ball far too easily to make a difference. Yes you'll have to pass to your midfield more, but the key to game will still be getting it to the wing and crossing it in. Just look at how often the CPU does this in the demo for evidence of that.

3. Once again, you make this definitive statement but don't back it up. Of the elements that I described up in point 2, what do you see that's realistic in there? Or what makes FIFA so realistic for you in general? If it's so plain and simple, you shouldn't have trouble explaining it.

Would the pass to the fast striker and sprint past the defense for the goal be the reason? The ease with which one can just turn and fire a finesse shot at an angle and drop it into the top corner every time (which, by the way, is still possible in FIFA 10)?

For the record, I can't stand PES, from the robotic looking and running players, to the pinpoint accurate passes, to the lack of licenses, I'll never play that game. I like FIFA more but I'm not so blinded by the hype that I can't see how NOT sim it is. It is better than PES for me, but it's certainly not a sim.

If the game played like a real simulation of soccer, the 4-3 scorlines wouldn't happen nearly as often as they do both online and off. Those that think soccer is incredibly boring would hate the game then. It's no coincidence that when the game goes from slow(er) and tactical, to lightspeed and arcadey, people that never used to like soccer (and still probably couldn't watch it on TV as it looks nothing like this game goes) are singing the game's praises.

I hope you'll come back with something though.

Last edited by Murkurial; 09-26-2009 at 01:59 PM.