View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
kcarr
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Ratings in APF2K8 and Madden.

I will agree that in 2k you really see the difference between great, good, and average players. Part of that is how weak the generic players are but also part of that is in their gameplay and ratings. If you take a generic or even most bronze qbs you will have trouble pushing the ball downfield and unless you have to notch receivers the passing game can be pretty tough. I have put up huge numbers with generic backs but only if I have a great oline, with an average oline any decent defensive front 7 will shut you down. On the other hand a great back can make plays themselves with or without the linemen, although the line can still help. On defense if you have a weak secondary then you had better have a line that can cause pressure, etc. In madden on the other hand, I can take colt brennen, have him throw to malcolm kelly, ramses barden, and chaz schillens and have him put up huge numbers. I can take a ian johnson and make him a great back even with an average line. I can take cliff avril and make him a 25 sack player. Ratings are basically irrelevant, especially if you are controlling the player.