View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #58
guaps
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Ok, some quick brainstorming and pseudoscience to explain what I mean. Ratings will still be in the game, but they would need re-thinking as they would have to be relative to the individual players height and weight. Furthermore OVR rating would disappear as they would no longer make any sense.

The following should not be taken seriously as they are just spontaneous ideas and quick calculations.

Let's use 40-yard dash times for speed (which is not very reliable as sprinters don't reach top speed before 50-60 meter mark, but let's assume we can use it)

Say, a 4.1 second 40-yard dash is the fastest achievable time - think Usain Bolt fast. That's our benchmark giving us a velocity of 8.92 m/s (I'm european, so I prefer the metric system in science, sorry). Now let's first construct a SPD rating using that. If we want to stretch our ratings let manipulate them and construct an arbitrary scale from between 4.1 and 6.1 seconds for a 40 yard dash time. 4.1 being 100 SPD and 6.1 being 0 SPD. Then DeSean Jackson would have a SPD rating of 83 and Haynesworth 48 SPD, using 40 yard dash times found on the internet.

If we look at ACC. Haynesworth needs to use a force of 1,065 newton to propel his 320 pound frame into a speed of 7.42 m/s (SPD 48), while DeSean Jackson only needs 668 newton to make him run 8.41 m/s (SPD 83), which let's us create a ACC rating based on weight. Assume that 190 pounds is the optimal weight for running fast (Usain Bolt weighs 190 pounds), which gives us, using the 8.92 m/s, a benchmark for ACC at, say, 50. DeSean Jackson then gets ACC 38 as he doesn't need more to move his weight around, while Haynesworth needs ACC 60. This rating could easily be stretched or a different benchmark could be chosen.

As for handling outliers you could make sweet spots for your physics ratings. Say, a height of 6'2-6'4" and weight of 220-225 pounds is the optimal combination for WRs, looking at speed, agility, acceleration, strength and jumping attributes. Then assume attributes are normally distributed around that sweet spot, so a 6'7", 250 pound receiver can't be lightning fast and agile, but he could be strong and vice-versa.

And when looking at small DBs hitting with ferocity, you are often talking about small players in high speed. E.g. the Eagles vs. Saints game where Sheldon Brown smashed Reggie Bush, because Browns' 200 pounds was run at high/full speed and hit hard on Bush's 203 pound, who had very little forward momentum. Of course a hit power rating could be implemented, as some players pound-for-pound hit harder than others (Bob Sanders comes to mind).

Again, don't take this stuff too seriously, as I'm just rambling on