View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Wellster
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon5 Defending/pressing against tight ends

I play with the Giants online and as such I run a pressure defense with the Giants playbook. I used to rely primarily on zone blitzes but they are less effective this year for various reasons, as such I've gone with a more straight up man-to-man blitzing style lately. I don't have any issue with leaving my two starting CBs to man-up on the WRs because of their press ratings. Webster's press rating is 88 and Aaron Ross has a press rating of 83.

My problem with this type of scheme is that TE's are rarely, if ever, bumped by LBs or safeties. Further, they aren't bumped and LBs are just not capable of covering them in open space (yes, I understand this is pretty normal in the NFL). I understand guys like Witten and Gates chewing me up, but middle of the road or scrub TEs should not be as effective.

I am looking for strategies to defend against TEs when manned up. I've thought about changing the defensive assignment of a safety to the TE and just running with three safeties all game, but would there really be any benefit? Even if I don't get a press at the LOS, I'd like to at least have the guy blanketed. Any advice?

And no, Double TE Bracket, or whatever that play is, is not effective. All it does is make it so that two defenders trail the TE as ineptly as one would, it's not even a true bracket.
Advertisements - Register to remove