View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #90
Glorious Arc
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I understand your point, but I think the game could use a few less ratings - which makes the ratings that exist even more important because they encompass more aspects of skill/physical ability.

For example, footwork/body control could go into AGI (the ability to control and manipulate your body). Blocking strength could go into STR (the ability to exert power/force behind your movements).

Then the way to make a physically weak-but-still-effective OL would be lowish STR (for his position) and very high AGI (for his position). Say the average STR is 75 and AGI 70 for an OL. This type of player could have 65 STR and 90 AGI or something of that nature along with a good RBL rating. He becomes weak against raw power moves, but he could use his AGI to hold up against spin moves as well as direct the defender so that he still creates his gap on the play. Throw in good ACC and you have a guy that gets off the snap (ACC), can change directions well (AGI), understand blocking assignments and engage the block (RBL), and have enough STR so that he can hold his own on the field (STR).

I think what fewer ratings would do is require more creativity in player ratings so that diverse player types can still be reflected, otherwise it would tend to fall into the "everyone looks the same" trap.

That said, it might be easier on the designers (and, presumably, easier then for them to get solid) to take the ratings that DO matter and incorporate more into them and drop the ones that don't.
PBF and agility are two completely and separate things. Agility is a physical ability. How well you can change direction and move. Footwork is a technical skill in how well you can bend and move like a proper Oline(I wont get into further details because I dont know how to properly block, I just know that there is something about bending at the proper places ect ect that are taught not born into like agility is to an extent). The issue with making agility universal means I can take a big strong/agile WR and place him on the line as a pass blocker. His agility would allow him to stop speed/finesse rushers. When IRL would a WR be able to stop Freeney coming round.

I agree they need to remove some ratings but it is different ratings I suggest. I suggest removing pass block, run block, and throw accuarcy(maybe awareness but I would rather see positional awareness made instead of a general stat that applies for all players)