Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #176
speedkills
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
In an effort to have a lighter and quicker offensive line I replaced the Steelers starting O-line with kickers, punters and defensive backs none over 190 lbs. I liked the results:

That stalwart at LT is 170 lb Martin Gramatica who is manhandling the highest rated RE in the game.

This will save me time from having to scout, draft or sign offensive linemen.
I stand corrected. Though in this video Gramatica had no business holding the block for that long against Jared Allen the point is is there a difference between Gramatica at Left Tackle and the highest rated player at that position? To be fair you need a larger sample than 1 or 2 plays.

Whether I trade this game in or not literally depends on this issue so I needed to be absolutely sure. I took the Titans who have the highest rated LT Michael Roos into practice mode against the Ravens who have the RE with the highest power move and break block rating. I ran the exact same empty backfield pass play over and over again first with Gramatica at LT then with Roos. There is no question that ratings make a difference as **on average** Roos did a much better job pass blocking than the converted kicker. There were plays where Gramatica was swatted aside like a fly (which should happen on every play) but that never happened with the Roos at left tackle.

whew.

So, my apologies EA. And I get to continue enjoying this game.