View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #281
deadlyCane
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

I agree for most part with what is written below. But what you're forgetting is that we are not just talking about the difference between a 60 OVR and a 80 OVR lineman. I've created lines full of 25 OVR with their blocking ratings as low as 12 OVR and they block the EXACT same as lines where the players range from 70 OVR to 99 OVR. I've even gone to extreme and created lines where I maxed out every player on the line in all the blocking categories and the OVR ratings and they block EXACTLY the same EVERY time as the 25 OVR line. The same goes for the defensive line. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!

And yes, they need the ratings and need to use a random dice roll (random calculations). But has someone else already pointed, the chance of success needs to be weighted in favor of the player with the higher ratings in that attribute category. That way you'll have the better player win most of the times but not all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Best post in the thread. The problem here is that they're trying to have ratings, calculations, percentages, dice rolls, fatigue, & stat balancing all replicate the human element and human interaction. There's just no way the have a computer program accurately reflect the NFL games we see on Sundays.

Anyone remember a few years ago on SNF when Johnathan Ogden was getting his *** handed to him repeatedly. I don't remember the defense, but he was getting waxed. The announcers couldn't believe it, and eventually they had to send a TE over to help. Anyway, if that happened in Madden, people would be crying about how Ogden is a 96 and this 88 DE is blowing him off the line every snap.

Someone mentioned that it sucks that it doesn't matter if you have an 80 rated guy or a 60 rated guy on the o-line, because they play the same. That's really not too far off from real life. Solid o-linemen get hurt all the time, and backups are forced to come in and play. Guess what? The offense still functions! Sure the backup gets blown up a time or two more than the starter. Maybe he gives up a sack that the starter would not have. But just because your team loses two starters doesn't mean that the offense falls completely apart. All these guys are good, at least serviceable players. You should be able to at least get by with the guys you have on the bench. There should be some noticeable difference, but not a huge dramatic one. (I'm not talking about punters & kickers, that's obviously complete BS.)

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove