Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
TheLeviticalLawKid3
Pro

TheLeviticalLawKid3's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: On the Prowl: Football at High Point

Jump ahead to May 2009...

The Wait is Over
HIGH POINT, NC- After years of waiting and more waiting, fans got to experience High Point football with the Panthers' first ever HPU Spring Showdown. The biggest scrimmage of Spring Training was open to all fans, and a packed house of 22,000+ filled the HPU Football Complex in anticipation of the game. Fans were treated to a showdown of the quarterbacks, as Brantley, AL native Dameyune Washington and Lafollette, TN's Dustin Buckner showed off their skills in a high scoring matchup.
"It wasn't just that our defenses were bad," HC Junior Dewrell said after the game. "It was more of our offenses overpowering the game. Our guys have picked up this offense really well and are cruising right along. Coach Montgomery's defenses made some great plays, but our offenses stole the show."
The Washington-led Black team pulled out an impressive 4th quarter rally to defeat Buckner's Purple squad, 49-38. The speedy Washington scored five touchdowns, three in the air and two on the ground, and running back DeAndre Warrick powered for the other two TDs for the Black. The Purple squad saw Buckner throw four TD passes, including one 78-yarder, and Hunter Perkins bounced outside on a toss play for the other six spot. The Black defense was the only one to force turnovers, with two fumbles and one Buckner interception.
"That INT was a perfect example of a great play. It looked like Buckner had found Jordan Kellogg wide open in the end zone, but PJ Sharp made an amazing one-handed grab and stayed in bounds to get the pick," Dewrell recalls. "Sharp prevented the Purple team from going up and that turnover led to the nail in the coffin, when DeAndre broke four tackles on his way to the endzone.
"If this game didn't get you excited about this season, nothing will. I have never seen a spring game like this. The fans were rabid and both teams gave all they had in this scrimmage. Over the past three years, these guys have been practicing for this moment, to step out in front of the faithful and show them what it's gonna be like this year.
"Our offense is going to be able to hang with anybody this year, regardless of how big they are. The defense has some bugs in it, but we'll work it out from now til September. The team is eager, our fans are eager, and I can't wait until that opener in Raleigh. The Wolf Pack better get ready, because we're ready to steal the show and get some national recognition. I had my doubts about their record this year, but, after seeing this game and this explosion on offense, I guarantee a winning record and a bowl game."
The first Saturday in September will be a big one, indeed. The Panthers will travel to NC State for their first ever ball game, and most say it will be a televised one. Expect a Raycom ACC game or a regional ESPNU early afternoon event. Mark the day on your calendars, because history will be made.
Advertisements - Register to remove