View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
JohnnyNutman
Rookie

OVR: 5
confused about some of the ratings.

i like that they have expanded the different categories for ratings (after all, in last gen the only defensive rating was tackling), but i am a little confused about the purpose of some of the ratings. im not sure if they are still used (see figure 1); or if they are overlapped by other ratings.

this is gonna be a long post, so if u need to go to the bathroom do so now

so to breakdown what im confused about:

figure 1: pass accuracy
well this one im not confused about. ian has said that it was just left in even after they added the short, med & deep ratings, but that it didnt have an effect. i still dont understand why they havent removed it from the game as it is confusing - especially to newer players.

figure 2: "elusive" ratings
what is the difference between elusiveness, juke move & spin move? jukes & spins are elusive moves, shouldnt elusiveness just cover them? there isnt really an established group of real life nfl players that exclusively use just the one move.

figure 3: route running
what does this actually do? does it help recievers run routes faster (which use to be handled by speed/acc); does it help them run them smoother (use to be handled by agility); does it increase their awareness of when the ball is coming (use to be handled by awareness)?

the only reason i could understand why this rating was added if it was cos it was supposed to be a "position specific" awareness ratings - players with better RR ratings would be more aware of what the passer was doing (that way u couldnt just dump in a speedy CB/RB to play the position with ease).

figure 4: awareness

does this only effect QBs now? bcv helps runners & play recog helps defenders, but what if there is a fumble (or other turnover)? what about recievers prior to getting the ball? what about blitz pickup?

figure 5: block shedding

the name of that rating alone makes sense, but then there is also finesse move and power move. finesse/power moves are primarly used for DLs in the trenches - which is block shedding. finesse/power moves should still be able to be utilized by LBs & DBs so when does the block shedding rating really come into play?

figure 6: agility
does agility still have a use for anything? it could be used for evading blocks, but we have power/finesse moves (and block shedding - see above); it could be for running smother routes (but we have route running); it could be for evading tackles (but we have elusiveness, juke moves & spin moves). what is this rating still used for? its one of the most basic athletic skills, but it seems to be have made redundant.

i also dont understand how they figure out the ratings of players that have had no relevance to their position. how do u what jeff saturday's throwing accuracy short ratings is? or troy polamalu's kick power? or reggie bush's defensive play recognition.

i can understand how guys like ben graham/sav rocca would get decent tackle ratings (they are punters, but they played aussie rules football their whole lives); or why certain WRs & RBs get decent passing ratings (due to the wildcat & other trick offensive plays), but for most players how do they differentiate them?
Advertisements - Register to remove