View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Poetique
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden development cycle/release date

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeBlaize
What are you going on about considering you admit it's not smart in a business sense?

-What I'm "going on about" is the fact that financially it's better for EA to release games yearly and make double the revenue they'd make releasing a game every other year, or later. And I can speak on it as much, as often, for as long as I please.

And the NFL does change...there are rule changes (people still don't seem to get that if you are hit before going out of bounds the clock still runs by the new rules), stadiums, coaching changes, uniforms (I know we're getting the Seahawks alternates but they have to pay for further patches anyway)

-Read what I wrote and not what you thought I wrote. Nobody said the NFL doesn't change. I said it doesn't change fast, and it doesn't. The same basic elements (some of which are still non-existent in Madden) have been driving the game since before either of us was born. And the rest of the stuff you mentioned requires nothing but a simple yearly download package. There's nothing there requiring a yearly game, period.

-And rule changes are generally irrelevant in Madden at this point. Most of the rules in the NFL don't even seem to apply to Madden, and the ones that do are often end up either over-exaggeration or incorrectly implemented... sadly enough, you'd end up with a more realistic game of Madden by turning them off, heh.

and many people do consider the gameplay engine changes from 09 to 10 to be well worth it.

-And most people paying any attention to even the most obvious details of the game realize that half the "changes" they make are simply things from the past being re-added, another quarter of them are things that should have been already done, and the remaining quarter tends to range from insignificant crap to silly gimmicks most of the time. Most > Many

Roster updates don't solve those things, but DLC would. The problem with that argument is that none of the sports game developers are willing to sacrifice the bulk sales they know they'll get over downloads which some people still can't access, or have a vendetta against paying for.

-Yep... quantity over quality. Although I'm sure some of us are old enough to remember when EA didn't seem to be so devoted to such a practice. Hence the reason many of us have no problem telling them off about it frequently and harshly.

Also, as others have said on here, their contract requires an annual release.

-That's irrelevant. Madden was a yearly product before the contract existed.
Advertisements - Register to remove