View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
bhackler
Rookie

bhackler's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Curl Route...pointless or possible?

Use proper Quarterbacking technique and be throwing when you finish dropping back and the timing will be there. I have friends who complain about not being able to complete routes and then watch them play and they do 28 step drops and stuff. If you run around like a chicken with its head cut off no route will work. 3 step drop, fire the ball, if the coverage dictates its not there, check it down.

It's not like every route is designed to be open on a play. You have diversion routes and clearing routes. It seems like most people I watch play pay no attention to PRIMARY receiver or check downs. They see routes and throw to whichever one they think is going to get them the most yard REGARDLESS. If you stay in the pocket, let your QB drop back the designated number of steps (3,5,7) and be ready to fire to the primary at the end of that drop back you'll see the offense run the way its designed. If you hit A to snap the ball, hold back on your stick and then try to fling the ball to somebody because you realize you've gotten behind the blocking bubble then you'll inevitably convince yourself routes don't work.

There's a difference between saying something DOESNT work and NOT KNOWING HOW to do something.

EDIT: This post came off a little more holier than thou than i intended. I just got finished playing someone who complains incessantly about this game and then i played him and he was a complete idiot who took the ball, dropped back and then sprinted around with the QB until he then either got sacked, completed a ridiculous pass to a receiver who had finished his route 5 seconds ago and was just running for open field, or threw a ridiculous incompletion. I was in the haze of aggravation. Sorry.

Last edited by bhackler; 10-13-2009 at 10:45 PM.