Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Dianwei32
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Running Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z
click on the link in my sig
You're guide is pretty good, props for doing a good job, my only problem is #3 on "My Tips": No Sprinting and No Right Stick Moves. If you break through the initial crowd, and the only guy between you and the endzone is 15 yards downfield, why would you not sprint? Why would you not try and make him miss/break a tackle to get extra yardage?

My suggestions for a good running game: Lay off the Sprint button (at first), and learn to use the Right Stick (a bit).

Lay off the Sprint button: A lot of people hold down the sprint button as soon as they snap the ball. This is a big no-no. When you hit Sprint, it gives defenders a boost to shedding blocks (no, it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it works). Don't hit the sprint button until you reach the secondary. Sure you might give up a few yards here and there where you could have gotten a bit more sprinting, but your blockers will be a lot more useful and allow for the occasional big run. It takes practice, but it's a habit worth making.

Learn to use the Right Stick: Don't throw it every which way, but use it to make a move before you get hit (Truck/Juke depending on the player), and once more to try and break a tackle. Don't use the Right Stick too much when you're being tackled, if you do you will fumble more often while trying to make moves. Make one move (Truck/Stiff Arm for Power HBs, Juke/Spin for Elusive) and then let it play out, if you break the tackle, great, if not, don't keep trying or you might cough up the ball.

The Right Stick is essential if you want a good running game. Sure, really agile guys will be able to make cuts that defenders can't match, but Power HBs are next to worthless without the Truck Stick, and Elusive HBs are downright deadly if you can Juke well.